• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Noabacca

Noabacca
  • Members
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Wind over 12 Knots

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:16 AM

Some of you may remember seeing my "LOST board" post back on the 24 of June, 2005.

LOST BOARD POST

As it goes, I got tangled with another rider, and had to drift in, leaving my board, floating out there.

Of course, I was determined to catch back up to it, after I made it to shore and borrowed another kite and board.
I had never lost a board, and wasn't about to start.

Anyway, Rusty and I did nearly a mile downwinder and I didn't see my board anywhere.

At the time, I remembered seeing a handful of boats milling about, so I figured it probably got picked up by one of them. That was my gut feeling at the end of the day.

Or it could have possibly slipped through my fingers, and kept drifting up the coast.

What can you do?

I made up some flyers, which were posted at some local stores (Montague and Stoney Lake), also at a local restaurant, and golf course.

Many people who knew me, or saw me ride before, where also helping spread the word.

All I could do was wait.

So, the next week end, I noticed a local douche had posted his boat for sale add, over one of my "missing kiteboard" flyers, then a few days later I saw that he had torn down another one and stuck up his "Boat for sale" using my tacks.

Could be unrelated, but seemed suspect, to my paranoid mind.

Still, what can you do?

Finally, one week ago Saturday, I got a PM from N8R, who reads the Mackite forum from East Lansing. My alma mater

He'd found a suspect board, up on eBay.

Well...... There it was.

Posted Image

All but one of my stickers were peeled off, little did they know it was also a distinct custom decal which I slapped on this year.

An added benefit of my stickers was that, all the spots which were covered up, showed up as dark shapes on the deck, since the sun faded the deck around them.

My latest photo of the board from Gun Lake, on June 14th clearly showed all the stickers in place.

Posted Image

So, off the bat, I called the local police in the town where the auction was going down.

It turns out, it was put on eBay by a shop, which only performs a consignment service.
Somewhat like a pawn shop, I figure.

Anyway, the local police told me to have the Muskegon Co. Sheriff, fax them a report and they would pick it up.

Long story short, the Deputy on the case, took my report that same day.
And by weeks end, the board was returned to my door step.

It turns out, a phone call was made to the person who brought the board to the eBay shop, and they changed their story after the Officer identified himself.

It went from: the kiteboard was a gift from a relative over 6 moths ago.

Then changed to: it was found, while camping.

That tells me, I would have had little luck getting it back without Police intervention.

The initial lie had been their story to tell, up until the Officer identified himself and that he had proof to the contrary.

So I got my board back!

After some scrubbing with Goo Gone, I put some more of my custom stickers on, and the rest is history.

Posted Image

#2 dacronkid

dacronkid
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hey, your mom said shave the beard and get rid of that horrible hat. I see you are still rebelling against family and society in general. Way to go!!!!!
[QUOTE]" IF IT CANT KILL YA,IT AINT A SPORT"

#3 S

S
  • Moderators
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Noah,

If you really want to have some fun with the local guy who horked your board - post his 'for sale' boat info on the forum.

Skip
Naish & Aggression fan

#4 Noabacca

Noabacca
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

I can't make any connection between the flyer tweeker, and the person who turned up with the board.

The guy with the "Boat For Sale" is a FIP.
The other person is not, so......

Maybe in the future weeks some more info will fall in my lap, but unitl then, I'm satisfied just to have my board in hand.

-NBP

#5 Lindy @ Sharkless

Lindy @ Sharkless
  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Longboarding, Zen Sports, Art & Design, Animation, Illustration, Journalism, Film, Music, Culture, Travel, Inspirational & Happy People, Family and Friends.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:11 PM

Glad you found your board. Really lucky you are!

We never got chris's back when he lost his. Someone from the State Park campground got it!
Lindy

www.sharkless.com

#6 N8R

N8R
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:22 PM

"COPS" is filmed live on location with the Men and Women of Law Enforcement......

#7 TREY3

TREY3
  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

very cool.....tales from the great lakes.....post the boat for sale.....he needs to be harassed for moving,and or tearing down your posters regardless.....nice ending dude :lol: NOW HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY LOST BROWN STEER.....NO HORNS, NOT A DONKEY, NOT A COW.....WHO TOOK MY STEER? LAST SEEN LSP...LOOKING FOR WIND HEADING NORTH,UNARMED......REWARD P.S. NEVER PUT STICKERS ON IT SO IT MIGHT HARD TO IDENTIFY.....BUT REMEMBER COWBOYS NO NUTS ON A STEER.....MAYBE IT WAS A HEIFER?YOU HAVE TO CHECK THESE THINGS OUT CAREFULLY.....MAY HAVE BEEN TRAVELING WITH SOME GUY WITH A GOATEE...

#8 Emmett22

Emmett22
  • Members
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Come on now we're on a Kiteboarding forum....what do you think my interest is.....naw aside from Kiting I also am a huge fan of paintball

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

Noah silently made an excellent point! His board was marked with decals/stickers. In the modern day we don't ride with leashes allowing for our board to get.. lost. There are alot of ways that you can mark your board and you can even make it look better. The best thing you can do is paint your name and phone number on it. But with the gel coated boards its not always the best. A simple tag or a custom logo will always help too. Just something to identify it from everyone elses. So if your board has a tendency to float away alot try to mark it. $400 - $600 board is worth a 50 cent sticker or some paint. Maybe an idea for all of us make some custom decals to stick on our boards.
Work hard, play harder!!!

PASA Certified Instructor
MACkite Kiteboarding Manager

Ride:
Kites: Naish Torch 16M , Naish Helix 12M
Boards: Naish Thorn 134cm, Slingshot Sx 137

#9 Ray Manta

Ray Manta
  • Members
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, windsurfing, kiteboarding.......

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

Besides a name and a phone number..... write the word REWARD on your board too.
B)
Glad you got your board back.... hey, whats a FIP anyways?? :lol: :P :o ;)
Posted Image

#10 cleenjeep

cleenjeep
  • Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Too many hobbies. Want one?

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

FIP?

FIP online?

FIP?

;)

Freakin Inconsiderate Person?

Foolish Incapacitated Plebe?

Fella Inebriated Playmates?

Fun Incorporated Products?

Funny Inkstained Plates?

:lol:
Michael Ramsey - Lansing, MI

I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted. ~D. Adams~

#11 bigair

bigair
  • Moderators
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

From urbandictionary.com:

1. fip
Hitler's lone testicle.

2. fip
The onomatopoeic representation of female masturbation. Often used to suggest that something is attractive.

3. fip
n. frikkin' Illinois people
usually referring to crappy drivers of cars from said state
also generic term for people from Illinois as they lack a good word for themselves (Illinoisian is not a word)

I am guessing Noa is using the third def., but I could be wrong...

Tip: Take a fin off and carve name, initials, etc. into the board and replace fin.

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo
  • Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

Well done Brad. Excellent clarification.
Liberate your mind

"Sorry Jimbo, my wife won't rent to you......" -SN

"This is about FUN - sorry to all the really competitive people out there" -Steve

#13 Ray Manta

Ray Manta
  • Members
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, windsurfing, kiteboarding.......

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

Well I had heard the third definition.... but where does that put the people from Iowa and Indiana??? ;) :lol:

The 'Ills' shouldn't shoulder all the responsibility for pushy, rude, bad mannered, in a hurry, most important monkey attitudes... or maybe they should. :o
Posted Image

#14 Emmett22

Emmett22
  • Members
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Come on now we're on a Kiteboarding forum....what do you think my interest is.....naw aside from Kiting I also am a huge fan of paintball

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

I'm not trying to be all nicy about this but has anyone ever tried to talk to them and explain what they are doing wrong. I mean once apon a time we did the same thing till someone decided to make procedures and general rules that are all common sense.
Work hard, play harder!!!

PASA Certified Instructor
MACkite Kiteboarding Manager

Ride:
Kites: Naish Torch 16M , Naish Helix 12M
Boards: Naish Thorn 134cm, Slingshot Sx 137

#15 Noabacca

Noabacca
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:58 PM